Student Assistant Job Description
Grade/Level: Sophomore, Junior, or Senior
Job Status: Part time (8-15 hours) but more hours may be available during J-Term and the summer semester.
Reports To: Access Services Librarian
- Library hours range from 7:45am to midnight and the library is open 7 (seven) days a week.
- Rotating Saturday shifts are required throughout the semester.
- Additional hours for events in the building also need to be covered as they arise.
About the Loras College Library
The Loras College Library is a welcoming center dedicated to fostering the intellectual development and personal growth of the Loras Community. The Library assists faculty, students and the general public with their teaching and research needs.
You provide first level support for all library functions. As the first contact most visitors have with the library, it is your responsibility to make people feel welcome by providing consistent, high-quality customer service.
Under the supervision of the permanent staff, you are responsible for performing circulation functions, answering basic patron questions, and conducting routine collection maintenance. In order to properly assist patrons and make sound judgment calls when completing assigned tasks, you will be knowledgeable about library policies and procedures and well-versed in library collections and services. In the absence of permanent staff, you are responsible for overseeing the library functions, informing the permanent staff of any issues, and notifying Campus Safety regarding any disturbances.
Permanent staff will work with you to ensure proper training and understanding of duties assigned. You will begin with training on general library functions, progress to learning transferable skills sought by employers in various career fields, and ideally transition successfully from student to a professional in your field.
- Provides Customer service and maintains a positive, helpful atmosphere at the Check Out Desk
- Greets patrons
- Checks materials in and out to patrons
- Provides service for the library’s printers, computers and scanners
- Directs patrons to areas in the library or around campus and appropriately refers them to a librarian they need research assistance
- Appropriately applies priorities for each shift
- Regularly completes the tasks assigned to your shifts
- Knowledgeable about all library policies and procedures
- Applies policies and procedures appropriately
- Asks questions to deepen understanding of policies & procedures
- Makes recommendations for changes after they’ve worked with the policies and procedures for at least one semester
- Oversees the building during evening and weekend hours
- Communicates with permanent staff regarding issues that arise
- Notifies Campus Safety when a disturbance requires their intervention
- Ensures library materials are properly maintained
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the library’s call number system and the variety of collections
- Shelves items on temporary and reserves shelving based on knowledge of the call number system
- Ensures library items are properly scanned, sensitized before being shelved
- Oversees the security of the library and its materials
- Communicates effectively and appropriately
- Chooses the appropriate communication method for the situation at hand
- Uses appropriate, business-like language when communicating
- Communicates in a timely fashion
- Arrives to work on time and dresses appropriately
- Regularly notifies supervisor in a timely fashion when unable to work
- Volunteers to substitute and/or work extra hours when necessary
- Specialty Options
- Each student assistant will have a specialty that will be their responsibility to plan and implement.
- Public Relations
- Data Collection
- Book Displays
- Research Guides
- Digital Projects
- Blog Writing
- Book Care
- Stack Maintenance
- Interlibrary Loan