Student Assistant Job Description
Grade/Level: Sophomore, Junior, or Senior
Job Status: Part-time (8-15 hours) but more hours may be available during J-Term and the summer semester.
Reports To: Access Services Librarian
- Library hours range from 7:45 am to midnight and the library is open 7 (seven) days a week.
- Rotating Saturday shifts are required throughout the semester.
- Additional hours for events in the building also need to be covered as they arise.
About the Loras College Library
The Loras College Library is a welcoming center dedicated to fostering the intellectual development and personal growth of the Loras Community that assists faculty, students, and the general public with their teaching and research needs. As an employer, the Library is committed to creating an educational and work environment that is inclusive, rich in diversity, and supportive of all students, faculty, and staff. Individuals from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
You provide first-level support for all library functions. As the first contact most visitors have with the library, it is your responsibility to make people feel welcome by providing consistent, high-quality customer service.
Under the supervision of the permanent staff, you are responsible for performing circulation functions, answering basic patron questions, and conducting routine collection maintenance. In order to properly assist patrons and make sound judgment calls when completing assigned tasks, you will be knowledgeable about library policies and procedures and well-versed in library collections and services. In the absence of permanent staff, you are responsible for overseeing the library functions, informing the permanent staff of any issues, and notifying Campus Safety regarding any disturbances.
Permanent staff will work with you to ensure proper training and understanding of duties assigned. You will begin training on general library functions, progress to learning transferable skills sought by employers in various career fields, and ideally transition successfully from student to a professional in your field.
- Provides Customer service and maintains a positive, helpful atmosphere at the Library Services Desk
- Greets patrons
- Checks materials in and out to patrons
- Provides service for the library’s printers, computers, and scanners
- Directs patrons to areas in the library or around campus and appropriately refers them to a librarian if they need research assistance
- Appropriately applies priorities for each shift
- Regularly completes the tasks assigned to your shifts
- Knowledgeable about all library policies and procedures
- Applies policies and procedures appropriately
- Asks questions to deepen understanding of policies & procedures
- Makes recommendations for changes
- Oversees the building during evening and weekend hours
- Communicates with permanent staff regarding issues that arise
- Notifies Campus Safety when a disturbance requires their intervention
- Ensures library materials are properly maintained
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the library’s call number system and the variety of collections after appropriate training
- Shelves items on temporary and reserves shelving based on knowledge of the call number system
- Ensures library items are properly scanned and sensitized before being shelved
- Oversees the security of the library and its materials
- Communicates effectively and appropriately
- Chooses the appropriate communication method for the situation at hand
- Uses appropriate language when communicating
- Communicates in a timely fashion
- Arrives to work on time and dresses appropriately
- Notifies supervisor in a timely fashion when unable to work
- Volunteers to substitute and/or work extra hours when necessary
- Additional Duties
- Based on your interest, you may be asked to work with social media, the Library blog, displays, book repair, etc.