The Audio/Podcast Room was proposed and created by Mark Kehren and funded through a Loras Innovation Grant. It is a distraction-free setting perfect to record group discussions, audio presentations, and podcasts. The room contains:
1. Wake up the computer - Try pressing a few keys or wiggling the mouse - If that doesn’t work, turn the computer on (the computer is on the right).
2. Log into the computer using: Username: Podcaster, Password: P0dcast (the 0 is a zero).
3. Open Audacity - Note: There may be many icons on the desktop with the logo so use the link in the taskbar.
4. Gently pull the the microphones so they are close to your mouth
5. Press the Record button.
6. Start speaking. Some tips:
Before speaking, breathe in, hold it for a second or two, and then start speaking so you don’t end up with the first sound being a deep breath.
It’s easier to remove a gap then it is to add space.
Write a script to read from.
Record in short bursts, we tend to get faster and less clear the longer we speak. It’s also easier to rerecord a sentence then an entire paper.
7. Press the Stop button.
8. Press Play to listen to what you just recorded.
9. When you are done recording, click on Effect and select Noise Reduction to reduce any background noise.
10. Lastly, click on File to save your project - If you plan to continue editing the file, click on Save Project. If you are done, click on Export and then Export as MP3.